Welcome to the MICRO 100 Magazine Blog. MICRO 100 is a monthly newsletter aimed towards users of the Tandy TRS-80 series of portable computers, including: Model 100, Model 102, Model 200.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

A small update, with a side of fries

 Good heavans. I'm doing an appalling job of living up to my origial promise of 2 posts a week. I guess in the world of vintage computing there isn't much in the way of news.

For one, I would like to belatedly congratulate Ron Wiesen for his recent win of the 27th Model 100 Programming Contest with his amazing program.

Secondly there's a rather major development that recently happened: I got my server up and running.
Currently, the server is a 500MHz Pentium III running Windows XP SP3, and can be found at retro-net.ath.cx, which brings me to the name: The Micro 100 Retro-Box Network, shortened/styallized simply as [..RETRONET..] . I have HTTP, FTP, IRC, and a Quake I dedicated server. It's pretty slow to load images, but I'll be upgrading it soon (hopefully), as well as adding a Synchronet telnet BBS (perhaps the failed Nytetyme project could live on), getting my domain set up (retro-box.net), and setting up an email server with username@retro-box.net.

The way that affects this blog is that it will be a little more varied, with some modern computers stuff as well as some older computer stuff, and links to my youtube videos at RetroNetVideos.

3 comments:

  1. Those of us who originally subscribed with Google Reader know you've posted because it is very patient. I suspect those who clicked on a link to read it back in the "two posts a week for sure" days might have fallen by the wayside.

    Pax,
    Rick K5FNI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro why would you run Windows on a server :~P You should use some distro of Linux.
    Also you should check out Google Apps - 10 free eMail accounts in Gmail format per domain. Used to be 50, but they recently downgraded it to 10. 7 gigs of space, not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually hoping to add a second server running Debian here this upcoming weekend, assuming I can fix this overheating issue it seems to be having. I use Google Apps for everything, and it works brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment and tell me what you think!